Wednesday, March 23

Spicy Meatballs

Ive discovered that I'm often inspired by date night dinners. Lee and I went to Buca di Beppos and we had spicy chicken rigatoni. Yum! Ive been trying to play with more flavors in efforts to get away from all the salt and cheese. Roaming through the grocery store I noticed some spicy ground sausage on sale. I picked it up and threw it in the freezer for a rainy day.

My sister bought me the coolest Christmas presents. A year subscription to Martha Stewart's Everyday Food Magazine. Picking through my April issue inspired me to follow half of the 'Siracha marinara and meatballs' recipe and be inspired from our rigatoni. I followed the recipe for the meatballs swapping the ground pork for hot sausage.


Meatballs:
1 lb ground HOT sausage
1.25 lb Jennie O ground turkey
2 C fresh spinach chopped in processor (or 10oz frz)
1/3 C dried bread crumbs
2 large egg whites
3/4 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper
cooking spray
Sauce- can of crushed tomatoes and
1 jar Prego veggie smart smooth and simple sauce
1lb pasta (your choice)

 Place pork, turkey, spinach, breadcrumbs, egg whites, oregano, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper in a large bowl. Get your hands clean and ready to get messy. Meanwhile, start cooking your pasta.
 Roll into 1 in balls and arrange on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil until golden brown, 10 minutes, rotating sheet and meatballs halfway through.
Simmer the tomatoes and Prego sauce and then add the meatballs to cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I love how this is a compilement of all the food you make, makes it easy for me to make it too :)

    - Ellen

    ReplyDelete