Tuesday, March 1

Sweet and Salty

I grew up on air popped popcorn with melted butter on the stove. Mmm, I can smell it and hear my dad yelling "Who wants popcorn?" Recently I have learned how to cook it on the stove. To my surprise I like the taste better than the air popped and definitely healthier than the microwave. The other night I found myself wanting something sweet and salty and googled kettle corn recipes. I was excited because the only thing different than the stove top was adding in some sugar. So I tried it, it wasn't perfect but for a first attempt it was good enough to eat.

I normally just put a little bit of veggie oil in the bottom of a medium sized pot on medium heat. I drop in 3 or 4 kernels and wait for the oil to get hot and the kernels to pop. Once hot stir in the sugar and the kernels. I gave it a good stir for a minute or so then put on the top and shook it until the popping slowed to a few seconds apart. I'm still playing with the amount of sugar. It called for the same amount of sugar as kernels (1/2 C of sugar, 1/2 C of kernels). I cut the sugar in half and it was still to much for me. Be very careful not to let the sugar burn, just keep shaking and pour into a bowl right after the popping slows. Top with salt if you'd like, or not.

1/4 C veg. oil
1/4 C white sugar
1/2 C unpopped kernels


3 comments:

  1. is the sugar supposed to be the same amount as unpopped or popped kernels? that could be why it was too much.

    Also, the stove top and the air popper dad used should be the same idea, surprised why it would taste different...

    -Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cute. I love your "randomness". :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMO!
    Let me know when you get this perfected!

    @Ellen, stove top and air poppers are TOTALLY different... then one you guys had is much healthier for you (I remember your dad making it). It uses hot air to cook, not oil. The stove top, or oil poppers like mine, use a little bit of oil to heat the kernels, which I believe makes all the difference in the world. More calories? YES Better tasting? Absolutely!
    ~Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete