Sunday, March 20

St. Patricks Day

 I was out grocery shopping the weekend before St. Patty's day and came up with the brilliant idea of making corned beef at home this year. Last year we went out and had the normal St. Patricks day dinner and a green beer. This year I was so pumped to try it on my own. Needless to say I had about four days of this excitement brewing inside of me giddy to try this yummy dish with a whole day stamped to it.

Well I thought I was just going to throw everything in the crock pot and have Lee turn it on before work. I didn't plan very well and lets just say that didn't happen but Lee reassured me as I was falling asleep Wednesday night that he had it all covered. So the next day I texted him at lunch, obnoxiously wanting to know how my big dinner idea was turning out. I just wanted some details! Lets just say he got the gist of how excited I was. Well since he didnt want to listen to how excited I was I  turned to my cousin/friend/coworker (frousin) and invited her and her husband over for an impromptu dinner. 

This is what I came home to... and a big case of beer!




 My sister just so happened to call and I, with all of my excitement, said 'hey do you want to come over?' And with that we had two more dinner guests.... and another trip to the grocery store.

Here I was thinking we had a whole pot full of food and Lee says umm were going to need more. This is when I realized how much more he knew about this than me! He reminded me how he used to make this all the time at his job in high school.  So I quickly ran up to the corner and grabbed another head of cabbage, a bag of potatoes, and another four pound brisket. I will tell you that I learned from my mistakes of just grabbing a piece of meat before checking them out. Our first batch, pictured above, was DELICIOUS! Our second however, was way too fatty. I didn't take the time to pick out a good piece, bummer.  Ive always been intimidated looking for what parts of the cow to buy! Or whatever kind of pork/beef/shoulder/ribs/ground round... the list goes on for me. Yes, yes I'm well aware that pork and beef are from two different animals, I just don't understand the cuts and I'm scared of the meat counter. 

Luckily our guests were coming for a late night dinner and arrived just in time for the second batch. Lets just say it was a fun night and you don't need to go to the bar to get a green beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment